HOME Page . . . INDEX . . . CONTACT US


Location:- High Street, St Mary's side

Brewery or Owner:-various

approximate extent of Carlton 1976

The Carlton was preceded on the site by several hostelries. The earliest found was the Maid's Head (or Maidenhead). Peter May (1600-1760) records that John Archer bequeathed the poor of St.Mary's Parish a case of red herrings on the 1st Sunday in Lent and 62 Band Faggots on the first working day after Christmas, payable out of the Maidenhead Inn

Later this apparently became the Boar's Head

This was followed by The Greyhound, named Jarvis's Hotel during some of the period in that family's ownership. Confusingly there was another, earlier Greyhound on the opposite side of the High Street. This was owned by John Pickes, who died in 1618, leaving to his widow Frances, the inn called the Greyhound "wherein I now dwell". This was later bought by King Charles II to form part of his new Palace (where The Stable now stands)

The Greyhound we are dealing with was known in 1787 as the Greyhound. Lord Godolphin inherited all of Tregonwell's property, amongst which the Greyhound which he insured against fire with the Company of London Insurers.
In 1896 the Greyhound was demolished and a very large new hotel built. Rebuilding of the old Greyhound Hotel, now Victoria Hotel, High St, for Reilly & Co (Walter Emden, 105-106 Strand, London WC) (Bury St Edmunds Records Office) EF 506/6/1/1/21,23 Oct 1896.

Mike Petty's Newmarket Scrapbook:-
"11th November 1897 - An action was brought by Albert Golding, the tenant of certain property in High Street, Newmarket, to restrain alleged interference with their ancient light by William Reilly & Co. Defendants had acquired the Old Greyhound Inn in 1896 and pulled it down, and in building a fine hotel in its place they had obstructed the light to the plaintiffs window. James Cross, a draper's porter, said he knew of the obstruction of light to one window by the fact that he could no longer look out of it and see his uncle. (Laughter). Before the new buildings were erected he could do so. A number of young milliners spoke of the interference with the light to their workrooms since the erection of the new hotel."

April 1898 and September 1898 Valuation for Assessment Committee of the Newmarket Union of the newly erected Victoria Hotel [later the Carlton Hotel] in Newmarket High Street, the property of the Victoria Hotel Company (includes description of Turkish bath, concert and ball room, kitchens, etc, the hotel being described as having "all the latest improvements in architectural arrangement, with the most recent fittings and style, and it may be described as thoroughly up-to-date"), Cambs Record Office - K 515/K/87

This was initially named the Hotel Victoria, soon becoming the Victoria Hotel. A directory published in 1900 described some of its features, which included Turkish baths, winter gardens and bijou theatre. The hotel had 70 bedrooms, 12 large self contained apartments, two large bars, a ballroom and a restaurant. Its staircase was of Purbeck marble.
In the 1910-1920s the premises appear to have housed the Victoria Bars, The Victoria Cinema and the Victoria Mansions. At some time between 1936 and 1948 the name was changed to its final identity, the Carlton Hotel.

The most impressive of all the building in the High Street it was spared in the bombing by the Luftwaffe in 1941. Although nine of the ten bombs were evenly spaced, for some reason the gap between bomb 1 and bomb 2 was double, thereby sparing the Carlton which could so easily have been the victim of bomb two. The stick of ten bombs, evenly spaced, took out many premises between Market Street and the Memorial Hall.

A magnet for American servicemen during WW2, there are many "interesting" anecdotes of that period. The fact that one could leave the Rising Sun, cross the street to the Carlton and then via the Winter Garden, exit at the rear to reach the Bushel and other interesting premises on the Rookery saw a steady stream of traffic.

By the 1960's much of the accommodation was being offered for rent as flats.In April 1963 a 2 bedroomed furnished flat was available for a rent of £28 per month.

In July 1964 plans by Carlton (Newmarket) Ltd to convert the hotel into two shops with a loading ramp at the rear were turned down. In October of that year the 3 full sized billiards tables complete with balls etc were offered to sale, any reasonable offer accepted.

About this time the Official Receiver commenced administration of the building.

April 1965, Mr White was having health problems and the bars were being run by Tollemache and Cobbold who installed Mr & Mrs A C Green as managers.

March 1967 permission was given for a Cabaret Club on the premises, with a number of dress and age restrictions. Mr. Richard Perryman was the entertainments manager. The Club opening (originally planned for Easter 1967), was repeatedly delayed "for legal reasons", sorting out the lease amongst them. Attempts to find the result of all this have failed. The number of local Press reports of burglaries and fights in and around the premises seem to be prolific.

In January 1971 Parway Land and Investments Ltd applied for planning permission regarding public conveniences, discotheque or licensed club on the site of the Carlton Hotel. The plans later showed shops at ground level with a disco and public conveniences in the basement. The same firm had an option of building a 100 bed hotel on the site, five times larger than the Carlton, which a spokesman said they could easily fill on race days.
Local planners were also at that time discussing how to incorporate the Carlton site into the plans for a new shopping centre on the Rookery.

On 11th July 1973 it was announced that Irving Allen had bought the building. Unconfirmed reports said he intended to demolish it and build flats and an art gallery on the site. The bars were leased to Star Brewery Cambridge (Tolly Cobbold), the flats administered for the Official Receiver by Jackson, Stops and Staff. The building was not listed so with local planning permission it could be demolished. In the event it turned out the plan was to retain the building, with minor alterations to the ground floor frontage for shops, offices and art gallery on the first floor, above that 2 (or maybe 3) floors of flats. The bar closed in August 1973, Tolly selling their interest in the lease to Mr Allen. The tenants of the flats were given notice to quit by Christmas.

March 1974, Newmarket School of Stud mangement (the company of Mr Irving Allen) were trying to evict the sole tenant,who was trying to obtain Council housing. He eventually left in December 1974.
Later that year Mr Allen put the Carlton back on the market

In 1977 it was sold to a development company, Whittome Properties Ltd of Stamford, who used existing planning permission to demolish it and re build as shops (by and large, Boots)

Most of the interior photographs show, if not the working detail, at least the size of some areas. The demolition was completed by May 1977

click here to go to www.newmarketshops.info for more information

Year Licensee Owner source
1682 as Maids Head Peter May (1600-1760)
1684 as Maids Head Walter Poulter Peter May and 1684 deed
1698 John Richardson as Boar's Head Peter May (1600-1760)
1714 Francis Pitt Peter May (1600-1760)
1730 John Archer Peter May (1600-1760)
1786 as the Greyhound Bury & Norwich Post
1787 as the Greyhound Chapman's map
1794 advertisement Bury & Norwich Post
1809 Robert Clark Bury Free Press
1823 John Clark Pigot's and Robson's directories
1841 John Clark census
1843 John Clark, moved to Three Tuns Bury & Norwich Post
1844 William Jarvis White
1857 William Jarvis (bankruptcy proceedings Cambridge Chronicle & Journal
1861 William & Mary Jarvis (William Junr and Louisa were at Railway Inn) census
1869 William Jarvis junior Post Office
1871 William [37] and Louisa Jarvis census
1881 Louisa Jarvis (Wm died May 1880) census
1883 sold, (advert gives 17 bed chambers) Suffolk Records Office
1883 Oct William Reilly W.Reilly Newmarket Journal
1887 William Reilly " " Newmarket Journal
1891 William Reilly census
1892 Reilly & Sons, wine merchants Tindall
1896 C.O.Wilkinson Kelly
1896 demolished to make way for Victoria Hotel Kelly
1897 became Hotel Victoria
1898 William Harvey Bury & Norwich Post
1899 H. Hardwick Reilly & Co Cambridge Chronicle & Journal
1899 Frank Philips Reilly & Co Bury Free Press
1901 Frank Philips census
1906 Philip Charles Slack (as Victoria Hotel) Newmarket Journal
1908 as Victoria Bars William Reilly & Co Kelly
1911 Ernest Gayfer (for official receiver) census
1912 Feb 17 from C.F Cape to Charles Wesley Gilbert census
1912 Charles Warren Bury Free Press
1916 Barrington Lynham
1916-1919 Mrs Lynham (while husband in Army) Cambridge Daily News
1929 Barrington Lynham White
1933 Cecil H.A.Coates
1939 Cecil H.A.Coates ( as cinema manager) 1939 register
1946 Cecil H.A.Coates
1946 Edwin T White (Arthur Castle manager
1955 Edwin T White & Terence O'Neil(manager)
1960 " " Tolly Cobbold
1963 Dec George Frederick Fuller replaced Terence O'Neil as mamanger
1967 Mr Swindon - manager Tolly Cobbold
1967 George Reginald Woodcraft - manager
1973 Bar closed, premises sold for c £100,000 Irvine Allen

It seems Mrs Jarvis had changed the name back to The Greyhound

c 1870s





view only possibly in 1967 when the Congregational Church was being replaced

Rear entrance in 1971
between Fish Bar and Peter Challice bookmakers


the ballroom.................................winter garden

winter garden 1977


High Street January 1990

Clarks....W H Smith...Boots...Currys....Tooks Bakery....Dewhurst Butchers...Freeman,Hardy,Willis

HOME Page . . . INDEX . . . CONTACT US

Creative Commons Licence
© text Tony Pringle under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.